So I’m just going to go ahead and start this post by saying if you haven’t yet watched Yuri!!! On Ice, you’re missing out. It’s taken the sports anime theme and completely turned it into something with real [gay] character relationships and beautiful figure skating animations.
I’m so in love with this show that I’ll mention a funny anecdote: Back when this was airing, I thought it would be a good idea to watch the latest (second to last) episode while on the treadmill at the gym. Big mistake. 5 min into the episode found me sobbing while walking as slow as possible, drawing many concerned glances from other patrons. Was it worth it? Yes. This show is incredible.
I documented the entire process of creating this costume, from initial sketch to the end. Keep reading for the full post!
DRESS: I wanted to be really authentic with the dress. I bought a actual skating pattern from Jalie, and just…yikes. The pattern itself seemed really strange to me, and ill-fitting for my body shape – the bottoms were too large but the torso was too small. I didn’t take photos of this, but I ended up not using this pattern at all and decided to use a pattern I already owned, Simplicity 1092 (basically, the Sailor Moon pattern).
The problem with this one however, was that it still felt too authentic – not only was it super short, but I didn’t know how to wear a bra with it! I ended up sewing a third extra skirt layer to make it longer. Overall I really liked this pattern – I had almost no alterations to make it. Each layer of skirt got bedazzled, as well as the top (with focus on the upper middle portion of the dress). I used 5mm clear, pink, and blue crystals.
JACKET: This one was tough! I once again used the Simplicity 1092 pattern. I wanted the jacket to be really open so I made a mock-up in scrap fabric, angling the sides of the jacket inwards so they would show off the dress. I added a triangular inset into the back. Then I used Yaya Han’s performance bodysuit stretch fabric to make the actual jacket – again, I was going for authenticity here, so I used stretch fabric. The back inset, 1 sleeve, and the lining utilized a lighter pink 4-way stretch fabric.
The peplum was 1 long rectangle that I sewed pleats into. I wanted it longer in the back, so I cut a curved line outwards to the sides. This fabric is awesome and didn’t need to be hemmed (win!). The peplum, shoulders, and back of the jacket also all got rhinestones.
The black detailing on the jacket is 4-way stretch as well – I used a zig zag stitch to sew it to the jacket and prevent fraying. I added the gold rope to cover the stitching up, as it looked pretty messy.
FLORAL HEADPIECE: I painted a thick headband silver and bought a bunch of fake flowers at IKEA & Michaels. I snipped the stems off the flowers and hot glued them to the headband. It only took about an hour total.
GLOVES: I used Yaya Han’s glove pattern and modified it so only the thumb was included.
WIG: I used Arda Wigs Amber in light grey. The only styling I did was to tease the bangs upwards, but they flattened out over the time I wore this >.<
Overall, this costume was a really fun challenge for me and SO much fun to wear. I think doing fem costumes might be a new thing for me…we’ll see!
Hopefully this post can help you out, and if you have any specific questions about how I did anything, feel free to ask in the comments! :)