Three years ago I made my first Frozen cosplay, Elsa. After that I said I wouldn’t do another Frozen costume, but here we are :>
When I saw Anna’s design from Olaf’s Frozen Adventure, I knew that was my next costume. It was detailed and I knew I would be pushing myself with a lot of hand sewing.
I was really nervous about shooting this costume, since it had to be snowy. In New England we got a massive storm last week but in a weird weather happenstance, it literally all melted before the weekend :( But we ventured somewhere that did have snow, and it actually started snowing when we took these photos. I was so excited! The snow you see here is all real, no photoshop :)
I’ve written up a detailed breakdown of this costume…read on to see how I made it!
JACKET: The fabric for this dress is a basic flannel…I bought the entire bolt (8 yards) at Jo Anns on black Friday for $16. The pattern itself was drafted by hand and went through 4 different tries before I got it. Instead of lining the actual jacket with lining, I just used my mock-up, which was in muslin and this random fabric I had once I ran out of muslin :P The hardest part was hand sewing the fur on, since it was thick and especially going around the curves where it closes. The gems were all sewn on by hand. The jacket closes with velcro since I’m still too scared to do buttonholes.
SKIRT: This was actually the first part of this costume that I started with. The skirt itself is simple, with 3 rows of pom pom trim (found at my local fabric store) sewn along the bottom. The patterns for the bell and horse were hand drawn and cut out of suede. They’re attached to the skirt using Heat n’ Bond.
I then hand stitched around the edges of all the shapes using embroidery thread – that process took a week’s worth of nights on the couch, so about 12 hours. Some of the details in the shapes were embroidered, and some were painted in puff paint.
UNDERSHIRT: I used the bodice pattern from Simplicity 1728 – I kept it sleeveless, and there’s a separating zipper in the back. I sewed down lines of blue suede and trim down the front for decoration.
BELT: The belt fabric is the “wrong” side of some faux silk, and is backed with a lighter shade of lavender. I sewed down lines of trim and ribbon on each side to get a stripe “pattern” like Anna has on her belt. It’s velcro-ed in the back, and the folded piece is just tacked to the inside of the belt to lie flat. I don’t have any progress pics of this; sorry!
WIG: I bought the Eowyn in pumpkin and long wefts in silver from Arda wigs. I sewed a small section of the silver weft to the top of the wig and blew dried it to lay flat. Then I just parted the hair in the back (since the hat was going to cover the back I didn’t worry if any wefts were showing) and braided. The bangs were then trimmed and held in place with strong hair spray.
HAT: The hat honestly stumped me a little since I’ve never sewn a hat before. I went through about 4 mock-ups before settling on this pattern. It’s double-layered and one layer has stiff interfacing ironed on. I lined the hat with blue suede, added some details using heat n’ bond to the sides (I didn’t embroider any of them), and hand sewed fur lining to the top.
BOOTS: I bought these boots on Amazon. I intended to paint them blue, but I decided against at the last minute. I painted the soles red with acrylic. I wasn’t sure how to do the patterns on her boots, so I ended up using craft foam and covered them in worbla, molding them to my boots so they’d fit snugly. I painted those and hot glued them to the boots.
PHEW! I think this might actually be one of my most detailed costume breakdowns yet! I hope you find this useful if you’re making your own Anna costume, and if you do, I’d love to see it!