Hi everyone! So usually when I post cosplay-related posts, I’m posting the finished costume PLUS all the work involved. This year I want to step back and really break out the costume process into parts, and focus on sharing in small parts how I make costumes. Because honestly, it usually takes months and I tackle separate pieces individually.
So! McCree is my first project of 2018. Part I will cover: Gun, Hat, and Serape. Lets go!
This was pretty straight-forward. The raw 3d print was a gift for Christmas, so I didn’t print it myself. It’s pieced together using screws provided from the etsy seller. The barrel actually twists out, which is a neat feature.
All pieces were primed and sprayed silver, then individually painted with acrylics before assembling together with the screws and a generous amount of epoxy.
I bought this hat from Amazon and immediately removed the ribbon around it. I replaced it with a thicker band of upholstery faux leather from Jo-Anns and hot glued it down.
The emblem on the front was also purchased before my 3D printer, and was found on etsy. After being painted and weathered, it was glued on.
The gold eyelets were painted over with brown, and I attached bullets I bought on etsy (bullets were painted and weathered at the same time as the emblem). Everything is hot-glued on this hat…watch out for glue strings!
I was REALLY excited about this belt buckle, since I was going to design and 3d print it.
The print itself was first drawn in illustrator. The design of the buckle was fairly simple, and didn’t have a lot of raised edges. The rectangle shape, letters, and outer “lip” were all exported separately as .svg files. They were uploaded into tinkercad (which was a process to learn, let me tell you) and shaped into the correct size. Once that was complete, I printed it on my NEVA 3d printer!
Once it was printed, I filled in the small gaps the printer left with gesso, primed, and painted it gold. I weathered it with some black paint. I haven’t actually added it to his belt yet :)
Despite a serape literally being one piece of fabric, the pattern for this was quite hard and took over half a day to get right. It ended up being 2 pieces; a square with a neck hole and a taped cowl neck that goes over the larger piece. Doing it this way made it more accurate to the drape McCree actually has. (I want to be completely honest here; I went through 4 yards of muslin and 4 patterns before I was happy with this).
The fabric is a bright red, stiff fabric that I found in the bargain loft of my local fabric store…I wish I knew exactly what it was. It could almost be an outdoor upholstery fabric.
I finished the bottom edges with gold edging that I had leftover from a previous project…it’s actually the “wrong” side of the fabric.
The pattern stumped me more…and required a lot of math. I measured one side of the serape and left ~2″ off each end for the weird spacing on the pattern. I divided that by 5 (the number of shapes on each side) and drew out a pattern piece. It’s a little over 1″ wide. That was chalked onto the serape and taped over.
I used a regular gold fabric paint for the “hexagons” and mixed white and gold for the triangles.
For weathering, I sat with brown paint and water and hand added in spots to make the serape feel used/like McCree was actually using it in fights.
So that’s part 1 of McCree, done! I hope this helps you out…keep your eyes out for part 2, which will be his mechanical arm!